John 14:18 (NLT)
No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.
Wasteland. Desert. Dry. Barren. Famished. Thirsty. Shadowlands.
All word pictures summarizing portions of my- our- lives. It was in such a season that I came across When I Don’t Desire GOD: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper. What followed was three months of grueling trauma, peeling back layers of sin and complacency and apathy. The book itself didn’t change anything mind you. But the Spirit used the Scriptures and thoughts in the book to work a radical change in my life. So much so that I’ve shared its effects with others. And decided to use it as the “curriculum” for my small group. The devotions in the coming weeks will be lined up with readings my small group will be completing. This is not to say the group you’re in is not great and not worthy of its own devotional writings. I just happen to write the devotions and thought this to be helpful. Anyone from any group can glean something from them.
Today is more background than devotional. But I feel heavy on my heart the burden to share with you the following thought: You aren't alone. You aren't alone in wondering why you can’t fully follow GOD. You’re not alone in walking through this precious, confusing journey we call life. You’re not alone in your struggle with the human condition. You’re not alone in seeking GOD because everything else brings nothing but emptiness. Over the next three months, lets walk hand in hand in learning to desire and delight in GOD, finding- and fighting for- joy in GOD alone, wielding prayer and the Word of GOD, and dealing with the darkness when it doesn't lift. Let us, once again, walk through this LifeTogether.