Friday, February 21, 2014

Week in Review

Monday- A Perfect Circle- Psalm 43:4, Psalm 63:1

“Our desires (wants, needs, longings) had always been for temporary fixes- a bottle, a drug, sex, love. And as for delights (enjoyments, satisfaction), there was little to none. None lasting anyway. But when we entered into relationship with Jesus, our desires and delights both flowed from Him. Our greatest longings are for Him and his glory. And this satisfies us to no end. Our delight in Him then increases our desire for more and more of Him. Call it the circle of eternal life. Or the genuine perfect circle.”

Tuesday- Desiring GOD- Psalm 73:25-26, Psalm 42:1, Psalm 63:1, Isaiah 26:9

“Focus on the verbs…

Pants…

Thirsts…

Seek…

Faints…

Yearns…

These aren’t the words of a casual, comfortable believer. These are words which scream, “GOD, I desire you, I want you, I long for you! More than anything in this life! More and more of you!”

May this be our plea today.”

Wednesday- Delighting in GOD- Philippians 4:4, Psalm 37:4

“Delighting in GOD is deceivingly simple. Ask yourself the following question and you honest response will be all the answer you need.

When I’m stripped of everything else, is GOD still enough?

Now before you toss a manufactured response off of the Typical Christian Answer conveyor belt, think about the question. Deeply.

If I’m stripped of everything is Jesus still enough?”

Thursday- Best of Both Worlds- Philippians 3:1, Romans 5:2

“We- those who follow Christ into relationship- have already got a taste of the glory of GOD. We’ve been forgiven and recreated. We’ve been given his very Spirit inside and access to him at all times. We’ve been given joy and peace (despite the problems of this world). And it is because of this “taste” or delight we’ve already sampled that we “desire or anticipate” even more. “

Friday- The Object of Our Joy- 2 Corinthians 4:4

“I perceived (and this was the wonder of wonders) that…I had been equally wrong in supposing that I desired Joy itself. Joy itself, considered simply as an event in my own mind, turned out to be of no value at all. All the value lay in that of which Joy was the desiring. And that object, quite clearly, was no state of my own mind or body at all…I asked if Joy itself was what I wanted; and, labeling it “aesthetic experience,” had pretended I could answer Yes. But that answer too had broken down. Inexorably Joy proclaimed, “You want- I myself am your want of- something other, outside, not you nor any state of you.”  -C.S. Lewis