Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Object of Our Joy

2 Corinthians 4:4 (NLT)

Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God. 

Last week, I promised my Inklings out there some C. S. Lewis. To wrap up our thread of “Joy as Jesus”, here is a thought from our beloved friend from his memoir Surprised By Joy-

“I perceived (and this was the wonder of wonders) that…I had been equally wrong in supposing that I desired Joy itself.  Joy itself, considered simply as an event in my own mind, turned out to be of no value at all. All the value lay in that of which Joy was the desiring. And that object, quite clearly, was no state of my own mind or body at all…I asked if Joy itself was what I wanted; and, labeling it “aesthetic experience,” had pretended I could answer Yes. But that answer too had broken down. Inexorably Joy proclaimed, “You want- I myself am your want of- something other, outside, not you nor any state of you.”

Joy is Jesus. And Jesus alone. Or as John (the Pastor, not the Baptist) would proclaim, “Jesus plus nothing.”