Hebrews 12:2 (NLT)
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.
Doctrine is an intimidating, often divisive undertaking. Two of the many reasons we shy away from it. But there is one I recently came across which rattled me, then radically changed my perceptions about desiring GOD. Labeled “Christian Hedonism,” this doctrine espouses that “GOD is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him.” While this may be old news to you, the thought hit me like it did the author of our study. Many more thoughts followed. Ruminations such as: if this is true, then not seeking joy in GOD is sin. That I allow things to steal my joy in GOD. That my joy is often in His gifts and not in him alone.
My bones degenerated into rubber. Tears arose in my eyes. I became a blubbering baby. Reading these words, I realized I didn’t desire GOD. My desires were to ensure my comfortable life. This one statement, along with the Holy Spirit’s relentless prodding, ravaged me. And (after more tears and blubbering) showed me that this devastating realization actually brings about our liberation. Our freedom. We are free to passionately and joyfully seek GOD and everything he possibly has for us. And, more importantly, all that He is for us.
As you go about your routine today, remember this declaration, “GOD is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him.” Find your joy, your peace, your satisfaction in He alone. And let your light so shine before others that when they look at you, they’re seeing a reflection of Jesus.