Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Call to Prayer

Psalm 88:1 (NLT)

O Lord, God of my salvation,
    I cry out to you by day.
    I come to you at night.

Prayer changes things. Or so the saying goes. Few one-liners ring true as this if we not only believe it, but practice it. Over the course of the last six months, I (as an individual) and Refuge (as a church body) have realized this. More than ever. When we seek GOD’s face- which is essentially what prayer is- we will never be the same. We either choose the call to submit and glorify him. Or turn our back and flee in the opposite direction. There is no middle ground. No staying the same. No apathetic indifference. Speaking and listening to GOD draws us closer to Him, opens our eyes to his presence, empowers us to sacrifice in love, strengthens and encourages, prods conviction and confession, purges our guilt, wraps us in mercy and grace, and -most importantly- takes the focus off of us and places it on Jesus. As we reignite our LifeTogether devotions, I will do what I should have done earlier. Pray for you. The one reading these devotions. And humbly ask that you pray for me as well.

Father, we seek your face. We humble ourselves and desire to know and glorify you. To give you everything we have to give. Take all our idols and distractions away. Lay us open before you so that we may confess and be rid of our blatant and apathetic sin. Open our eyes and ears to your Spirit as we’re guided  towards you. Use these Scriptures and words from these devotions to draw us closer to you. May you be glorified in us as we are satisfied with you alone. In Jesus’ name, Amen.