Monday, February 10, 2014

The Impossible, Possible

Mark 10:27 (NLT)

Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”

As we get older, we come to the harsh realization that we don’t know near as much as we thought we did as younger folks. Humility, whether coming directly from GOD or from our self and others, becomes a part of life. It robs us of our pride. Sometimes sincerely. Sometimes embarrassingly. We learn that we can’t control everything. Or anything. We come to the dramatic conclusion (don, don, don) that this life- even the Christian life- is impossible without GOD. When we get honest (as our beloved pastor and friend would say), we understand our complete, thorough, and utter helplessness to save ourselves and do good. I mean, I can’t even focus for longer than five minutes in prayer some mornings. If I fail to spend mere minutes seeking GOD, how in the world can I bring about joy and peace in my life? Or withstand any of the struggles this life has to offer? Or even realize I need Jesus the Savior in the first place?

Only this remains: the Christian life is impossible without a supernatural GOD. One who can do for me what I cannot do for myself- rescue, redeem, restore, and reconcile. Praise be to GOD that we have such! Amongst a world which promises (and fails to deliver) the impossible, we have YAHWEH making the impossible, possible!