Thursday, July 17, 2014

One Voice #2

Romans 15:5-6 (NLT)

May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other, as is fitting for followers of Christ Jesus. Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

What we find in the latter part of the scripture above is yet another aspect of joining together with one voice: Worship.

As we’ve discussed before, true worship is not just singing songs in church. Worship is how we give God glory in everything that we do. That being said, I want to focus on corporate worship today. Corporate worship is the joining together of voices during a church service to praise God for what He has done and is doing in our lives and in the lives of others.

God demands and deserves all glory. He demands and deserves to be praised by us through song. If you have given your life to God, you understand this. Yet, somehow we still let petty issues get in the way of us truly worshipping God during Renewal (Sunday mornings) and Equip 13/21 (Wednesday nights). Let’s put this into perspective:

“God, so-and-so said the muffins I brought for breakfast this morning were dry. How dare they? I just don’t think I can get over this in time to sing praises to Your holy name this morning.”

“God, my husband / wife make me so mad on the drive to church this morning. I know that I should just let it go but I just don’t think I can get over this in time to sing praises to You for saving my life.”

“God, my favorite team (Ole Miss) lost yesterday by one point (or in Ole Miss’ case, dozens of points). I’m just too bummed out to sing for You this morning.”

One of my personal favorites:

“God, I just don’t really like this type of music. Either the drums are too loud or the guitar is too quiet. Why can’t they get it right?!? Until they can get their act together, I’m just going to have to sit this one out.”

To a God who gave His all that we might be saved, these excuses just don’t hold water.

Choose every day when you wake up to worship God no matter what. Then when Renewal or Equip 13/21 rolls around…

…all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.