Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The John In Us All

2 Timothy 4:2 (NLT)

Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

Disclaimer: What you are about to read may challenge your old way of thinking and infuse a shot of truth into it. That being said, you will be accountable for acting on the words you read. So, if it just so happens that you are the type of person who reads something from the Bible or a provocative book and say, “Oh, man. I wish I never would have read that,” you may want to stop now, click on the next email or website, and move on with your comfortable life. If you’re courageous, then press on we shall. Swallow the pill and let it begin…End of Disclaimer.

Although a friend first, John (the Pastor not the Baptist) is the pastor of our flock of Refugees. But were you aware that Refuge actually contains dozens of preachers. Furthermore, did you realize that if you’re perusing this devotion, you are one of those preachers…(you were warned!)

The word “preach” comes from the Greek phrase meaning “to proclaim.” As in publicly proclaiming some sort of information or news. Whether we realize it or not, every time we open our mouths we are publicly proclaiming something. That something may be-

I live for SEC football, or

I like talking about other people and their issues, or

I am preoccupied by the weather, or

I hate my job and want to move, or

I love to share Jesus with others, or

I am a family man, or

I enjoy living simply, or

I relish serving others…

Every time we open our mouths we are preaching, proclaiming to the world what is of the utmost importance to us, what is worthy of our conversations, time, and energy. And even more so than our words are the actions behind our words. May it be said of us that every time we open our mouths, we are preaching Jesus at the center of all. And then may our lives reflect what we say.

Now you “see” that John isn't the only one “called” to preach!

Welcome to the ministry…preach on-