Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reflections of GOD

Isaiah 43:6-7 (NLT)

I will say to the north and south,
    ‘Bring my sons and daughters back to Israel
    from the distant corners of the earth.
Bring all who claim me as their God,
    for I have made them for my glory.
    It was I who created them.’

For many, self-esteem is a paralyzing issue. An issue that robs of us much joy in this life. If this is the case for you (or even if it's not), ponder the following statements:

We were created to be the glory of GOD.

We were created for the glory of GOD.

Now pause and allow that opening salvo to sink in. Seriously. Stop reading this now and think about that 1-2 combination.

Put in this perspective now, our self-esteem should skyrocket. While not diminishing the hurts, habits, and hang-ups we struggle with, the truth must be realized. The truth of what GOD says about us. We are truly special to him. Not because of what we have to offer- vast wealth, fashionable clothing, rugged good looks, slender beauty, unearthly intelligence, witty humor. But simply because he created us the way we are for his glory.

During my recovery some years ago, I had this friend who made me write down adjectives which described my feelings (I struggled mightily with self-esteem). He then made me comb the Scriptures to see what GOD said about those things. It changed things. I went from basing my esteem off of my outward appearance to analyzing my heart, for that is what really matters to GOD (1 Samuel 16:7). And I encourage you to do the same. Whether in recovery or on a daily basis.

Anytime you feel yourself slipping into self-esteem issues, hard though they may be, keep in mind what GOD thinks about you. How you are a reflection of His glory. How when we reflect GOD by delighting in him, his glory shines all the more. Shine on…