Micah 7:8-9 (NLT)
Do not gloat over me, my enemies!
For though I fall, I will rise again.
Though I sit in darkness,
the Lord will be my light.
I will be patient as the Lord punishes me,
for I have sinned against him.
But after that, he will take up my case
and give me justice for all I have suffered from my enemies.
The Lord will bring me into the light,
and I will see his righteousness.
As we continue our thoughts from yesterday, we witness Micah displaying the overriding lesson we've been learning: GOD does for us what we cannot do for ourselves.
Like us, Micah fell. To a sin of some sort. (Sin is sin. The specifics aren't important.) After reminding the enemy of GOD’s promises, admitting his guilt, and accepting his punishment (a period of darkness), Micah proclaims, “…until he pleads my cause…he will bring me into the light. I will look upon his vindication.” Micah harbored no illusions of saving himself by willpower. Of breaking the darkness and guilt. Of moving on with a normal life. His admission to facing the “indignation of the LORD…until he pleads my case” screams of both helplessness and powerlessness over the situation. Only GOD could rescue him. Only GOD would determine when that would be. Only GOD could forgive and restore the relationship. There is the mercy.
And now for the joy.
We are brought back into the glorious light of GOD. And, because of his “vindication” (freeing us of all guilt), he seems to shine all the brighter. Like Micah, we don’t only look upon him for what he does (or doesn't do)…but who he is. The GOD who loves us enough to allow us to live with, and then through, the consequences of our sin. In his power. And in his time.
May Micah’s mantra become your own.