Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Crazy Love Sessions, Volume 8: GOD is Fair and Just

Proverbs 8:13 (NLT)

 All who fear the Lord will hate evil.
    Therefore, I hate pride and arrogance,
    corruption and perverse speech.

Sometimes I think I’m both god and good.

Yeah, I know. Some are sicker than others. And I’m bad off. Surely I’m not the only one.

Sometimes I think I've lived a good life (at least the last six or seven years anyway), help everyone I can, take care of my daughter, haven’t cheated on my wife, teach in an underprivileged area, serve at the church in numerous capacities, don’t watch porn, guzzle alcohol by the pint, willingly take advantage of people, I pay my taxes, tip generously, or don’t smoke cigarettes, don’t have cable, satellite, or the internet at home to tempt me, have a daily quiet time, and on and on.

I really think I’m good. I venture so far into my delusion sometimes that I even get to thinking I’m…get this…righteous. That I am full of love and grace. Mercy and encouragement. Fair and Just. Dare I say holy.

At times like these, Jesus has a few words for me (and those of you like me): Your righteousness is like filthy rags. To bring that into today’s terminology, our righteousness is like a used tampon. Jesus' words, not mine.

I know what you’re thinking. That’s not fair to compare the good things we’re doing with that. But the Scriptures continues to reiterate itself.

“There is none righteous. No not one.”

And on and on it goes. This isn't to slam us, mind you. But to remind us that GOD alone is a fair, just, and righteous GOD.

Author’s Note: for more on this topic, read page 33 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski