Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Crazy Love Sessions, Volume 16: I AM Your Father

Matthew 7:11 (NLT)

So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.

After taking my wife on a hot date last Thursday, Friday was Daddy-Daughter Date Night. Savannah and I spent the whole evening together. We sang songs in the Jeep. Dined at El Toro's. Hit Sweet CeCe’s for dessert. Then proceeded to walk the shopping strip there. We entered Wal-Mart, played with the toys, poked around the videos, and read a dozen books. Being with my baby was a joy. All of the memories were good because we were together. And I comforted her the entire time as well. I rubbed her head and hugged her after she bumped her head at the Mexican joint. I walked between her and the curb on our jaunt to the store. You know, as a buffer. I grabbed the toy off the top shelf so she wouldn't pull a Curious George and climb to the top, thus knocking the shelf off-balance, causing it to tumble into the next one and creating an enormous domino-knock-down-game out of the entire store. I steered her away from the horror section in the media center. We talked about prayer and saving up your money to buy things you want and the value of sharing toys with kids who don’t have them. We also spoke of not passing gas and blaming it on Daddy in the middle of a public place. (Like I would ever do that to her).

At times like these, we get a glimpse of how GOD is with us. On such a greater level than this. GOD hovers over you and I with joy as I spend time with my family, hike a trail, ride my bike, read a book, or even write these words. He follows you as you gather for football or baseball games, laughs with you as you watch Madea, rejoices with you over the new baby, uplifts you as you chalk up another sober day, delights when you discover joy in Him and not just it what He gives. He protects us from dangers we don’t even know about. He guides us into deeper relationship with Him. He stands as a buffer between us and the one who would snatch our soul. He teaches us how to love others.

Some of us had wonderful fathers; others had one who did the best they knew how; and still others had absent or horrible fathers. But GOD is the perfect Father. He loves his children perfectly.

Author’s Note: for more on this topic, read pages 54-56 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski