Mark 6: 53-56 (NLT)
After they had crossed the lake, they landed at Gennesaret. They brought the boat to shore and climbed out. The people recognized Jesus at once, and they ran throughout the whole area, carrying sick people on mats to wherever they heard he was. Wherever he went — in villages, cities, or the countryside — they brought the sick out to the marketplaces. They begged him to let the sick touch at least the fringe of his robe, and all who touched him were healed.
I don’t claim to be a prophet; nor do I brag about seeing future events. I do, however, consider myself a man of faith, hope, and love. And Hebrews 11:1 states, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (NIV). So allow me to speak of something I “hope for and am certain of”: people from all over this community running in droves to find hope and healing at Refuge. Not because we are Refuge but because we have stepped into the role of Jesus, become his hands and feet, his body.
In the Gospel reading today, we follow Jesus as he wanders about the whole region healing people and ministering to the needs of those communities. They mobbed him. Even those touching the edge of his clothes were being healed! What life-changing power! Now here is the kicker - we (the church, Refuge) are the body of Christ, meaning when we get serious about walking with God, we can do similar things.
I can envision the look on some of your faces as you read this (because I’ve been there). Are you telling us people will flood into Refuge and we will heal people and be the talk of the entire community? These are not my words but those of Jesus Himself. “..There are no “ifs” among believers. Anything can happen.” (Mark 9:23, The Message). “…What is impossible with men is possible with God.” (Luke 18:27, NIV). “…Ask in my name, according to my will, and He’ll [the Father] most certainly give it to you.” (John 16:23, The Message).
Everyday, I find myself closer and closer to taking God at his word. What if you and I together, what if all of Refuge would start walking in this type of faith? What if we not only believed in Jesus but became His body? What if we had the faith to see our mission statement come to fruition?
What if people saw Jesus-in-us so clearly that they come running to Refuge from all over the community?