Thursday, May 24, 2012

Revenge

Romans 12:19 (NLT)

Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God.

Taylor Swift has a song that says, “there’s nothing I do better than revenge!” The ABC television network is currently airing a very popular show called Revenge about, you guessed it, a woman getting revenge on a whole lot of people. Our culture loves a good story of revenge. Have you ever found yourself thinking the following:

Can you believe what that idiot did? I was about to leave for work and this dude pulled right out in front of me! I almost hit him! I’ll tell you what, I’m going to give him hell until I get to work. Ha, this’ll show ‘em!

Silly? Not quite… What about this:

I can’t believe she didn’t bring my movie back… I lent her that movie 2 months ago and she still hasn’t brought me my movie back! I’ll tell you what, I’ll never let her borrow another movie of mine! As a matter of fact, I’m going to borrow one of her movies and keep it forever!

We definitely do silly things sometimes… People wrong us and we just have to get them back. We have to go that extra mile. But God calls us to do the complete opposite of what our culture teaches us. God calls us to NEVER take revenge.

NEVER.

He says to leave all of the revenge to Him. Taking our personal feelings out of the equation is really the only way that we can really love others!

Try to remember this today as you contemplate how you’re going to get back at the drive-thru lady who gave you regular Coke when you asked for a Diet Coke.

Let God take care of that kind of stuff.

You just love her anyway…