Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Faith-Into-Action Week #4

James 2:26 (NLT)

Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.

Today’s question is this:

Does my giving reflect my love for Christ?

Author Robert Louis Stevenson tells us, “You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving.” This is especially true of how we live out our relationship with Christ in such a way that it benefits others.

This one is uncomfortable for everyone involved (including myself). Just like yesterday and the day before, I want you to get past all of the Sunday-school clichés and I want you to really examine this issue in your life by spending some time answering the following questions. I want you to be specific and write your answers down on a piece of paper:

One obvious aspect of giving is tithing. Do you tithe (give 10% of your income to God through your local church)?

If you do, explain in a few words the emotions that flow when you write that check or prepare your cash offering? Are they emotions such as thankfulness and worship or are they emotions of guilt and irritation? Be specific as you write down these emotions.

If you don’t tithe, examine why. Write it down and take it to God. See if your reasoning lines up with His Word.

When you are blessed with more money than you need, is your first impulse to give it away or is your first impulse to spend it on yourself? Be honest here. Now write down how your answer to this question makes you feel.

Now, I want you to spend a few moments in prayer. Pray something like this:

God, please help me to find all the joy and contentment that I need in my relationship with You. Give me the strength to fight any attachment to the things of this world. Open my eyes to both the temporary and the eternal. Lord, when you give me more, give me opportunities to give more to others. Lord, help me trust You as I tithe. Help me to see this as an act of worship instead of as just another bill. I want my life to make a difference for You, Lord. I trust You and I place everything I have in Your mighty hands so that You can be glorified through it.

Now, spend a few minutes in silence. Give God some time to speak.

Don’t forget to breathe.

Now give like you never have before.

2nd Corinthians 9:6-8 (NLT)

Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.