Monday, May 28, 2012

Faith-Into-Action Week #2

James 2:26 (NLT)

Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.

This week will be a little bit more introspective than other weeks. Sometimes we must stop reading and start acting. That is my prayer for you this week. That you can find some freedom and deliverance.

Today’s question is this:

Do I really believe that my sins have been forgiven?

C.S. Lewis tells us that, “Forgiving and being forgiven are two names for the same thing. The important thing is that a discord has been resolved.”

It is absolutely vital that we, as followers of Christ, are able to not only forgive others, but also to accept Christ’s forgiveness for our own sins. I want you to get past all of the Sunday-school clichés and I want you to really examine this issue in your life by spending some time answering the following questions:

Are there sins from your past that you are still holding onto? (Write them down. Be specific.)

Are there sins in your life right now that are allowing guilt to overtake your desire to serve God? (Write them down. Be specific.)

What would change in your life if I were to finally let go of these things?

Now, I want you to spend a few moments in prayer. Pray something like this:

God, I want to give you my past, my present, and my future. I want to give you all of my failures and shortcomings... All the things that heap guilt on my head every morning when I wake up. Lord, I want to walk in newness with You. I want to be free of this burden. I’m crying out to You! I trust You and You alone to deliver me.

Now, spend a few minutes in silence. Give God some time to speak.

Don’t forget to breathe.

Now embrace forgiveness like you never have before.

Psalm 103:12 (NLT)

He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.