Thursday, May 31, 2012

Faith-Into-Action Week #5

James 2:26 (NLT)

Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.

Today’s question is this:

Does my life prove that my faith in Christ is real?

As we’ve done all week, I want you to get past all of the Sunday-school clichés and I want you to really examine this issue in your life by spending some time answering the following questions. I want you to be specific and write your answers down on a piece of paper:

Thinking back on our illustration from Monday… If a detective was hired to follow you around to prove, in the court of law, that you are, in fact, a follower of Jesus Christ, would this detective find enough evidence to convict you? Be honest with yourself and write down what evidence this detective might find:

Would you be convicted of being a full-fledged follower of Christ?

Would you only be charged with a misdemeanor? Are you hot and cold or on and off with your life as a follower of Christ?

Would you be declared not-guilty?

If someone were to ask your co-workers if you were a Christian or not, would they know? Would you have to tell them you’re a Christian or would they be able to put 2 and 2 together by not only the way you have treated them, but also how they see you handle situations as they arise?

We could ask questions like this all day long but it all comes down to the question at the top of the page:

Does my life prove that my faith in Christ is real?

Now, I want you to spend a few moments in prayer. Pray something like this:

God, I want to be real. I want to be authentic in my relationship with You. I want people to see me living out this relationship. Just as the moon reflects the sun, I want to my life to reflect You. I want people to look at my life and see something different. I want to love as You love and serve and You serve. I don’t want to have to tell people that I have given my life to You. I want people to be able to see it. In my life, make me less and less as You glorify Yourself more and more. Lord, use me. I give You every square inch of my life.

Now, spend a few minutes in silence. Give God some time to speak.

Don’t forget to breathe.

Now live for Christ like you never have before.

John 3:30 (NLT)

He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.