Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Revolution Will Be Devotionalized (3 of 5)

Differing Dharma

John 15:5-7 (NLT)

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!


Everyone has their thing. Something they don’t share with the world. Or at least with very few people. Not a sin mind you, but just a piece of yourself you don’t blare. For some, its jazz music. For others, its reality TV. For me, it monks.

I am fascinated my monks. Of all sorts. I read books about them. I listen to albums full of their chants (the Christ following ones). I ponder their wise sayings. I respect the discipline of their vows. I practice meditation techniques I learned from their orders. I would even be a monk if GOD hadn’t called me out of my personal silence and into the world.

One of the most profound thoughts I’ve come across is from an ordination ceremony, in which a particular branch of monks say they are “going forth into homelessness.” What a thought! And this gets me to thinking that the dude who came up with that saying is wise. His words live on after his death. Then my mind will return to the Bible and the words of Jesus. Unlike the words of the old wise men or the Buddha himself (Siddhartha Gautama), when I read the words of Jesus, I’m listening to the Living GOD. The words resonate with eternal power and significance, with wisdom well beyond my feeble mind yet simple enough for one with child-like faith. Stepping further into joy, I not only read them, but meditate on them, then live them out. And therein lies the difference between my Buddhist friends and myself: Jesus is the Way, the (only) Truth, and the Life.

Namaste.