Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mirror, Mirror

1 Samuel 16:7 (NLT)

But the Lord said to Samuel, "Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

Life can be summarized in many one word conclusions. And one I tend to use a great deal is: “balance.” Yes, I know it sounds very eastern- religious of me, as if I've been consulting the Buddha too long. It's important as we become mindful of the health and wellness of our bodies that we find a balance. What is meant by this? When we stand in front of the mirror to brush our teeth every morning, we shouldn't look away in disgust, mumbling such phrases as, “I’m too fat, how can anyone love me, or I’ll never be able to be fit.” Nor should the opposite be true of us, leering at the mirror, stroking our six-pack, and flexing our muscles in admiration of our glorious image. Rather, we should be able to smile, say “I’m a child a GOD and a work in progress,” thank him for such things as your ability to stand in front of a mirror (legs) and be able  to see your visage (eyes), then give him your body in the day ahead, as a living sacrifice. Then be patient with the change. Your health is important to GOD!

Application: Find balance today. Realize Jesus loves you just as you are…but also too much to let you stay the way you are.

Nutrition Tip: Add honey to the grocery list. There’s a reason this is a staple food at Arms of Mercy. Of its many qualities, perhaps its best are soothing stomach ailments (worry anyone?), preventing cancer, and reducing the risk of heart disease. It's also mankind’s oldest- and healthiest- sweetener.

Exercise Tip: Switch up routines. Get bored easy? Many a new year’s resolution bites the dust due to boredom. So keep your body guessing, and engaged, by switching your workouts often. Walk one day. Lift weights another. Chase the kids at the park. Kick the soccer ball around (its fun people, I’m telling you). Speed walk, rather than casual walk, through the mall. Jog, rather than riding the four-wheeler, to the deer stand. (If you kill something, muscle it back to camp. You won’t have to workout of for weeks after that!)