Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Running the Race

Philippians 3:12-16 (NLT)

I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. But we must hold on to the progress we have already made.

A couple of weeks ago, John (the Pastor, not the Baptist) spoke about endurance and used the aforementioned passage to get his point across. Reminded me not only of spiritual things, but our physical health as well.

In my humble estimation, there are three types of “runners” when it comes to health and fitness goals.

1. The Fireball (jump on a routine quick, then burn out before February)

2. The Too-Little-Too-Late (Wishy-washy, then they get busy but its too late)

3. Mr./Mrs./ Ms. Consistent (keep a steady, disciplined pace until the race is over)

1. Perhaps toes will get mashed here but the truth will set you free. The Fireball is the person who makes a host of new year’s resolutions, is the first in the gym for the first month of the year, eats somewhat healthier, and makes early positive gains. They burst out of the gate, then somewhere between late January and Valentine’s Day, they’ve fallen off the horse. Until next new year’s.

2. Another is the Too-Little-Too-Late type. They are those who wait until they’re old or having surgery and say something along the lines of, “I wish I’d taken better care of myself before getting to this point.” While its never too late to begin a healthier lifestyle, doing so earlier in life will give you a higher quality of life for more of your life. Don’t be one of those people imagining “what could have been” in a hospital or deathbed.

3. The Consistent one may not make new year’s resolutions, eat an all-organic diet, or beat down the doors of the gym, but makes small steps over time which make them healthy, well, and fit. They choose Subway over McDonald’s here; or play football with the kids in the yard instead of plopping down in front of the TV there; or cooking a meal for the family rather than ordering a pizza; or replacing worry and anxiety with a prayer and some deep breathing…And then they make the best choice again…and again…and again. Until it becomes ingrained habit. And before long, they’ve run the race. From start to glorious finish.

P.S. The same works with your spiritual life!

Application: Patiently endure. Take the uncomfort of life and push through it. With joy, knowing that Christ has done it also!

Nutrition Tip: Small changes lead to big gains. Love your mayo? Try the fat-free version. Like flavored sodas? Try the real juice. Love your burgers? Try using deer meat and turkey bacon. As my AA buddies say, “It works if you work it.”

Exercise Tip: Variety in the spice of life. Tired of doing push ups and squats? Switch your way of doing them. There are dozens of modifications to basic exercises. Place your hands/legs out wider. Then bring them close together. Put one hand/foot in front of the other. Check prayfit.com or other sites to get pictures of these variations.