Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Crazy Love Sessions, Volume 41: Of Leftovers and Vomiting Spit

Revelation 3:15-18 (NLT)

I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, "I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!" And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.

In 2004, Rob Lilwall began riding his bicycle from the frozen tundra of Siberia back to his home country of England. Along the way, he experienced a plethora of adventures and lessons, strengthened his faith in Jesus, and wrote such a riveting book that I not only read it, but placed it among my “keepers” in the shelf (to be read again). During the course of his journey, he pedaled through Afghanistan and Iran among other hostile countries. In a conversation with an Iranian Muslim, Rob discovered why Christians, especially those in the Westernized world, are frowned upon there. He pens, “They [the Iranians/ Muslims] gained most of their experience about America from Hollywood and some crude television shows on their (illegal) satellite dishes. They seemed to think that all Westerners were Christians, and thus the television shows and films were portraying how normal Christians lived.”

While it is of course unfair to lump all Christians in America into this category, it can’t be far off. Because that’s how normal Christians (if we can even call them Christians) live. In my personal experience, the vast majority of people who show up to church on Sunday live however they want during the week. We watch things we have no business watching. We do things we know we shouldn’t be doing. We bounce from one thing to another, do anything to get ahead, rationalize our lusts and desires, and then, only then, squeeze some time in for GOD. If we’re not too tired after turning the television off.

We are indifferent to GOD.

And it makes GOD want to vomit. Blow us out in chunks of spittle. Hurl us from his mouth. Wrenching and coughing. Ashamed and embarrassed and in agonizing anger.

May it be said of us that we are a delight to GOD. May we give GOD our lives- “our sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking around life- and place it before GOD as an offering.” (Romans 12:1, The Message). May GOD have all of us. And may others see this, this different “Christian” lifestyle, and praise GOD because of it!

Author’s Note: for more on this topic, read pages 83-87 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski