Luke 14:34-35 (NLT)
Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? Flavorless salt is good neither for the soil nor for the manure pile. It is thrown away. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!
Congratulations! You made it through the wilderness of the lukewarm (so to speak). If the last three weeks were as gut-wrenching as they were for me the first time I paged through this chapter, you may find the need to rest. To take a deep breath. To veg out in front of the television for a month. To read something else lighter. But I would encourage to plod on.
One thing is for sure. If you put your whole heart into the last three weeks of the lukewarm chapter, then your life is in the process of being transformed. Yes you, like me and everyone else, are still messed up human beings. But, as Chan describes, “there is a difference between a life that is characterized by [negative] mentalities and habits and a life that is in the process of being radically transformed.” No matter your spiritual maturity level, we can all grow. If we are willing to humble ourselves, admit our half-hearted attempts to follow GOD, confess it, and press on toward Him with everything we have.
I know you’re tired. I’m exhausted too. But let us continue to unabashedly follow Jesus in this LifeTogether.
Author’s Note: for more on this topic, read pages 80-81 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski