Matthew 13:44-46 (NLT)
“The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure that a man discovered hidden in a field. In his excitement, he hid it again and sold everything he owned to get enough money to buy the field.
“Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a merchant on the lookout for choice pearls. When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!
“Lukewarm people do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty. They want to do the bare minimum to be “good enough” without it requiring too much of them.” (page 76)
It’s the proverbial spiritual tightrope. How close can I get to the edge? Can I blur the black-and-white line into gray? Where can I push the envelope to? Why must I shake up my comfort zone when it includes such wonderfully delightful things such as church attendance and daily Bible reading? How far does this grace reach? Can I take this one drink and be okay? Can I look at the body of that woman/man just a little longer? Can I want all the wealth in the world as long as I would share some of it? Can I tell the truth about this person without slipping into gossip? Can I take another bite of this supper despite being full already?
Everyday we encounter situations such as these. Situations where, in our depraved human nature, we seek to blur the righteous lines GOD has drawn. When it comes to relationship with Jesus, however, it continues to be all or nothing. Jesus didn't sacrifice himself for us to just be “good enough.” He came “that we might have life, and have that life abundantly!” The next time these questions or this wishy-washy attitude slips into your spirit, remind yourself of those words of Jesus. May we continue to live LifeTogether and live it abundantly. Completely sold out to our LORD and Savior Jesus Christ!
Author’s Note: for more on this topic, read pages 76-77 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski