I asked a friend one time what he does when life begins to overwhelm him. He told me some things that I was expecting to hear: Pray, read my bible, spend time just being quiet before God. Then he took it a step further by telling me that he focuses hard on his relationship with Christ by having personal times of worship using prayer and God's Word.
He said he prays through the Psalms.
I had never heard of this concept and it intrigued me. What I came to find out is that the book of Psalms is full of beautiful passages that showcase the full range of our human experience. Things like depression, doubt, fear, and pain all the way to joy, redemption, forgiveness, and awe. I came to find out that these beautiful passages are more than just songs. They're a commentary on life. They are all parts of a story that we are all living.
So this week I want to invite you to pray through some Psalms with me.
I invite you to use the words that David wrote many thousands of years ago to spark a revival in your personal walk with the Lord!
Psalm 16 (NLT)
Keep me safe, O God,
for I have come to you for refuge.
I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
Every good thing I have comes from you.”
The godly people in the land
are my true heroes!
I take pleasure in them!
Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
or even speak the names of their gods.
Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!
I will bless the Lord who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
My body rests in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.