Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Places of Honor #1

Mark 10:35-40 (NLT)

Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came over and spoke to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do us a favor.”

“What is your request?” he asked.

They replied, “When you sit on your glorious throne, we want to sit in places of honor next to you, one on your right and the other on your left.”

But Jesus said to them, “You don’t know what you are asking! Are you able to drink from the bitter cup of suffering I am about to drink? Are you able to be baptized with the baptism of suffering I must be baptized with?”

“Oh yes,” they replied, “we are able!”

Then Jesus told them, “You will indeed drink from my bitter cup and be baptized with my baptism of suffering. But I have no right to say who will sit on my right or my left. God has prepared those places for the ones he has chosen.”

Have you ever had to stick your foot in your mouth when the filter between your brain and tongue malfunctioned? If there was ever an example of this in the Gospels, it's here. Driven by a misplaced perception of honorary positions, they ask Jesus to place them in the highest places of honor. Rather than lambasting them into embarrassment, Jesus simply says, “You don’t know what you’re asking for…”

If we were all honest, we’d all have to agree that we’ve been through something similar. Since I’m the author this month, allow me to share an episode from my own walk. I must preface this story by saying I struggle with a voracious ego almost daily. (Which is better than my pre-Jesus days where there was no struggle, only submission and slavery). Years ago, I was asked to fill the position of youth pastor at another church. Immediately upon the request, the monster within foamed at the mouth. Although I hadn’t asked for the spot verbally, my actions pined for the post. Despite trying to act surprised and humble, my head swelled three hat sizes. My chest puffed out. I strutted down the church aisle in a glimmering halo of glory, the captivated masses swaying in worshipful adoration. How haughty I was.

Like the disciples however, I had absolutely no idea what I’d “asked” for. I thought youth ministry would be having a hundred kids who loved me and hung on my every word. I thought it was a place at the front of the church, a title demanding respect both in the church body and the community, speaking engagements, and a small-scale taste of fame. I had no idea. All of that may have been a part of that. But I couldn’t even see it from all the gossip and drama of hormonal adolescents, parents wondering what was wrong with their young people, pastors questioning my methods, youth workers looking for an example all the while bickering and back-biting, kids sleeping on my couch, balancing ministry and family, picking students up from the police, working my “real” job, running kids out of the gym for doing drugs in the bathroom, spending one-on-one time with everyone, planning, organizing, implementing special services and events…

And this was only the first week!

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade that life and lessons for anything. The most profound lesson being- humility.

May any honor we seek be for the glory of GOD…and not about ourselves.

Application: Heart check. Why are you serving in the ministry you’re serving in? Question your motives to ensure you’re serving for his glory…and not our own.