Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vision #5 - The Resolution Begins

Psalm 119:10-24 (NLT)

I have tried hard to find you—don’t let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word. Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey your word. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. I am only a foreigner in the land. Don’t hide your commands from me! I am always overwhelmed with a desire for your regulations. You rebuke the arrogant; those who wander from your commands are cursed. Don’t let them scorn and insult me, for I have obeyed your laws. Even princes sit and speak against me, but I will meditate on your decrees. Your laws please me; they give me wise advice.

Here is a basic summary of my notes from John’s message. Sometimes things laid straight to the point are more profound without the added literary rambling.

Vision Statement: 1(of 4). Passionately seek a relationship with Jesus

How do we do that?

1. Have the closest possible walk with Jesus. Attend church service every time you can, including the most vital services like prayer. Read your Bible and some devotion daily. (Author’s Note: No, I won’t get my feelings hurt if you don’t read this one. My feelings will be hurt if you make no effort in your quiet time whatsoever.) Be consistent and constant in your prayers and alone time with God. Think of it like a dating relationship. When you first start dating your love, you want to spend all your time with them and want to know everything about them. Same with Jesus. Fellowship with other believers, who will encourage you further in your relationship with Jesus.

2. We are one body with many parts. Every body part compliments the others. If we’re not active then we’re hurting and hindering the rest of the body. Each part is accountable to the others. If, say, our foot is wounded, then the whole body is affected, having to run with a limp. We must maintain spiritual health, not only for ourselves, but for the good of the entire body.

3. We seek God with whatever means necessary. At work, at play, at family.

4. We act the same way both in and out of church. We must, in essence, be the church. We all must move together. Think of it like an octopus on roller skates. If the legs are all on the same page, everything is headed together in one direction. If not, chaos and wreckage.

In the words of the O.C. Supertones, “Today, I make my resolution!” Will you join with me?