Matthew 7:7-11 (NLT)
Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.
Not long ago, I waded through a devotional much like you are now, only dealing with the mystery of God. In one chapter, the author discusses the transforming power we experience when God answers our questions. Dr. Stevens went on to say, the questions themselves- and the search involved in them- is perhaps as powerful as the answer itself. I am inclined to side with him. Questions, more so than knowledge itself, are the greatest power in the world, short of love. Above all, questions help us realize that we are powerless and our need of Jesus (The Way, The Truth, The Life).
Yet, questions usually get a negative reception. As a teacher, I’m amazed by the lack of questions in the classroom at school, in the meeting room at the shelter, even at church. I’m not so naive as to believe that we are such great teachers that there are no questions. Rather kids (like most of us) falsely believe asking questions will blemish our reputation. It’s not cool. It makes you look foolish, slow, or stupid. This is what they believe- even when they know others don’t understand either. Sadly, what I witness in the classroom isn't the exception to the rule. Rather, people in all walks of life tend to shun the attention shone upon anyone asking questions. Think even of those in the church who have dared to ask questions, or seek something deeper.
But, oh, how I long to ask question after question! And I’m not alone. I’m reminded of one story in particular. Warren (name changed to protect anonymity), one of the most memorable characters to come through our shelter program, was a questioner, a seeker. He was wise enough to know that he didn’t know everything and humble enough not to care what others thought of him. During the “Faith Like Children” section in our Life Recovery Devotional one early morning, Warren stopped us mid-thought with his raspy voice, a mix of gravel and phlegm, like he’d smoked too long.
"I don't want to interrupt or waste your time, but what the hell is this talking about? How can I be like a little kid again?"
I stopped and smiled. He, at first, thought I was laughing at him until I said, “Another wise man once asked Jesus how a man could be born again. (See John 3). So you’re in good company.”
And so is anyone who seeks the answers, whether they find them in this life…or the next.