Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gratitude For Health

Philippians 4:11 (NLT)

Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.

In a superficial world where our airbrushed role models are muscled men or toned women, it's easy to lose sight of what really matters- the health we do have. I understand you want to drop a few pounds (or a few dozen) or turn the spare tire into a washboard. But as I sit the doctor’s waiting room awaiting my battery of mission trip shots, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude to YAHWEH for allowing me such excellent health. No, I don’t look in the mirror and see the body of Jesus Freak and CrossFit champion Rich Froning, or my martial arts hero Jason Statham. But I live virtually pain free, eat well, have no disabilities, full use of my legs and other parts. I only visit the doctor for my yearly physical. Today was a reminder that no matter what I think I should be- I’m healthy. And I know most of you who read LifeTogether devotions. You may have some health issues and I certainly don’t want to discount them. However, in the grand scheme of things, you’re healthy. You show up for worship services and gatherings. You’re able to visit a doctor or get the treatment you need. And not everyone enjoys such. Be thankful today for what you do have…not what you do not.

Application: Find contentment in the health you do have. Then, pray and push yourself to even better health.

Nutrition Tip: Sip water. Forget 8 glasses. All day,everyday. Stay hydrated. The minute you find yourself, the dehydration process has already begun.

Exercise Tip: Drop the dumbells. Use your body weight. Push, pull ups, speed squats, lunges, and core (ab) work are among the best respected and effective exercises. What do they all have in common? They work without weights. Push (and pull) yourself – literally-to better health.