John 12:25 (NLT)
Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity.
Yesterday, we left with a dangling principle: when we use our energy (or anything else for that matter) for God, He multiplies it in return.
So number two is this: Whatever we give the LORD, whether large or small, he multiplies it and gives it back in greater quantities. Over and over again. I believe if we take an honest look at our lives, we’re witness to this.
Permit me to share a personal story. As you know from reading this devotional, I enjoy writing. Whether it be poetry, a novel, a memoir of my time at the shelter, whatever. I have to write. Whether or not people read it doesn't matter. Writing began as a catharsis during my time in recovery and hasn't stopped since. A few years ago, I saw my writing time cut to almost nothing. With a new baby and a family devoted to serving others through our church, shelter, and school, little time or energy remained for my writing. This bothered me so bad that I brought it up in a conversation with my mentor. Being the Godly, wise man he is, he shared with me the Scriptures above and told me to continue to be faithful to GOD first and that He would provide time and energy for my passion in due time. I gritted my teeth and followed his advice. Months later, I found myself with more responsibilities than I’d ever had before- yet I was writing more than I had in years! Not only that, I was able to factor in more family adventures and more time to run around the yard with the soccer ball exercising (and dreaming I finally led FC Dallas to their elusive MLS Cup and Supporter‘s Shield) . I’m not relating this to say “Hey, look how well I mange my time” but to lift my voice in saying, “Put GOD first in everything, devoting all of your energy to him, and watch as he miraculously adds time and energy to your days!” There is no better investment for you health.
Application: Make a commitment to give GOD the best part of your day- morning, afternoon, or evening. Do your devotion then. Read your Bible. Pray, both talking and listening. And watch as you give him a little, and he gives eternity in return.
Nutrition Tip: Be faithful to small changes in your diet. Eating organic whole foods can be both an adjustment for your body and your pocketbook. On your next trip to the grocery store, simply replace one or two of your “old” foods with something more nutritious. (Example: oatmeal with fruit rather than Fruit Loops). If you eat out often, steer toward Subway or a healthy salad and a bowl of chili at Wendy’s.
Exercise Tip: Sleep. Yes, I realize this is an odd tip when the devotional dealt with energy. But science (and experience) tells you the more sleep you get during the night, the better. Seven to eight hours is ideal, but let’s face it, many of us do good to get six. Sleeping though allows the body to “shut down” and “recharge,” thus helping us increase our energy levels.