Mark 8:11-12 (NLT)
When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had arrived, they came and started to argue with him. Testing him, they demanded that he show them a miraculous sign from heaven to prove his authority. When he heard this, he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, “Why do these people keep demanding a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, I will not give this generation any such sign.”
Last Sunday, John (the Pastor, not the Baptist) confessed. He opened up and shared that his perception about the love and acceptance of GOD had been distorted. I related. When I was a child, the thought of GOD terrified me. Every time I made a mistake (which was a lot) or did the slightest thing wrong, I felt like GOD hated me, that he would obliterate me with a holy lightening bolt. He was the authoritarian tyrant who ruled with an iron fist. As I entered adolescence, with its mixed bag of hormones, angst, depression, anxiety, -and especially- doubts, I grew to dislike GOD for dragging me through such a humiliating and hurtful time. Even later, in young adulthood, I became unconcerned with GOD, even flirting with the idea that he didn’t exist. Or if he did, I didn’t care anyway. Matter of fact, I beseeched him several times to put me out of my misery.
After encountering a handful of genuine Christ-followers, a box full of C.S. Lewis books, and a wrestling match with the Holy Spirit (which I lost by the way), I came to the realization that my perception of GOD was skewed. Upon reading the Scripture for myself and praying, I discovered that my perceptions were not only skewed…but completely wrong. Yes, there will be a judgment and an accounting for our deeds, but the GOD who created me did so with love. And loves still. And loved me all along, even in my sin. And he’ll love me forever. And nothing can separate me from his love. And he loved me so much he willingly sent Jesus, a piece of himself, as love personified, as love to take back my life.
This is but one of the many, many changes in regards to perceptions. Others included: seeing storms as opportunities for growth, inconveniences as avenues of fellowship, my past struggles as a chance to help others in a similar place. It was (and is) truly a new life. Like blinders peeled away from my eyes. Gives new meaning to the oft-repeated line of Amazing Grace, “I was blind, but now I see!”
So where does this portion of the Gospel relate. The Pharisees, like me, wanted (and even demanded) proof. What they really lacked wasn’t proof. The proof has been around since the beginning. Read Romans chapter one. They lacked perception of the proof.
Application: Answer this question honestly: How do you perceive GOD? Now follow this up by taking the time to locate verses to reinforce the true perception of GOD. Or review those already listed.