Sunday, March 11, 2012

What Is Worship?

Psalms 108:1-5 (NLT)

My heart is confident in you, O God; no wonder I can sing your praises! Wake up, my soul! Wake up, O harp and lyre! I will waken the dawn with my song. I will thank you, LORD, in front of all the people. I will sing your praises among the nations. For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens. May your glory shine over all the earth.

Mark 12:30 (NLT)

And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.

Worship is a lifestyle. Worship is not a style of music. It’s not a particular song. Worship is a way of living that a person gets to when everything that they do, they do to glorify Jesus Christ.

I heard a person say that singing is only worship when you don’t feel up to it and even when you don’t feel like singing, you do it anyway because you love and want to bring glory to Jesus. This is a remarkable statement considered the recent modern worship movement, in which worship has been used most often to describe a genre of music.

Worship in its most basic form is nothing more than glorifying and adoring something. Your world revolves around that thing. In the same way, when we worship Jesus, we are adoring Him and glorifying Him. When we are truly worshipping Him, our entire world is revolving around him!

I believe worship is simply giving up one’s self totally to God. Having said that, I don’t believe a person can go out and live any way they want to and then come to church on Sunday, sing some songs, and say that they had a worship experience. I believe it’s impossible to worship God in church if you haven’t been worshipping God in your daily life.

Worship is making yourself a living sacrifice unto God, unhindered by the things of this world and madly in love with Jesus Christ, your Savior.  This love for Jesus will bring about a total change in the way you think, the way you talk, and will it will change your entire life.

In conclusion, I’ll leave you one phrase:

To love God is to live for God…  Then you worship God!