Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Tested Faith #5 (When Questions Come)

Job 42:1-6 (NLT)

Then Job replied to the LORD: “I know that you can do anything and no one can stop you. You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’ It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me. You said, ‘Listen and I will speak! I have some questions for you and you must answer them.’ I had only heard about you before but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said  and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.”

The story of Job is a beautiful portrait of the human condition and God’s love for us. I urge you to read the entire book but offer you this summary for now:

Job is a man who is wise, rich, and good. Blameless. He was also very blessed. In fact, Satan tells God that Job is only serving him because of how God has blessed him. So God allows Satan to test Job. Suddenly terrible things happen to him. His ten children are killed, he loses all his wealth, and he becomes ill with a painful skin disease. Three of his friends come to visit him and they try to explain to Job why these bad things have happened. They tell Job that sin caused his suffering and God was punishing him. Job insists it is not true but no one believes him. Job becomes very discouraged and angry but he still believes God cares about him although he doesn't understand why he must suffer so. In the end, God answers Job in a whirlwind, reminding him that humans can never understand how great God is. After Job hears God speak, he repents (in the verses above) and realizes that his trust in God should not depend on what happens to him. Finally, God restores Job's health, makes him twice as rich as he had been before, and gives him ten more children.

What I can’t show you in this summary is the barrage of questions that Job asks God. While he never lost faith in God, he asked some very tough questions. Over the past few days, we’ve talked about the challenges that come with simply keeping the faith. Noah was faced with uncertainty. Abraham was faced with the most unthinkable situation he could have imagined. Here we find Job wrestling with all of the above.

While doubt and selfishness can certainly destroy our faith, we can learn from Job that questions don’t. God shows us time and time again that he is big enough to answer our questions. So the next time you feel like your faith is being tested, go to God and be real with him. Scream, yell, sing, or whisper your toughest questions to him. He can handle it. Just be ready for some answers.

May our faith grow when questions come.