Monday, October 20, 2014

Corporate Growth #2 (An Inventory of Sorts)

Although this devotion is labeled “Corporate Growth,” it's more of a personal exercise than a group one. If you choose to go through this with honesty and transparency though, you will find it will not only help your growth…but all of ours together. As usual, I will use myself as the example, not because of ego (okay, some ego) but I don’t want to ask anything of you I haven’t done myself. Yesterday, we discussed the power music has upon us. Both in our former lives. And in our current ones. This is an inventory to display the massive growth that takes place when you sellout everything- including your musical selections- to Jesus. This inventory contains two parts; the first is if you currently struggle with the music you listen to, the second if you’ve already laid down your music at the cross and replaced it with more uplifting influences. Here is the exercise:

Part 1 (if you never analyzed your musical selections). Complete the following exercise:

Write down the last five songs or artists you’ve listened to. Include some of the lyrics to the songs. Now ask yourself the following questions:

1. What effect did the words and/or music of this song have on me?

2. Would you describe these as positive or negative effects?

3. Does the song or artist glorify Jesus in both word and deed?

4. Is this music conducive to your growth as a follower of Christ?

5. Would you want your children or friends or spouse listening to this music?

Part 2 (compare/contrasting your “old” music with your “new” music) Complete the following exercise:

Write down the lyrics to five of the songs you once listened to. (If you’re like me, the Lord has removed most of these…but usually you can remember a few). Next, write down some of the lyrics from the last five songs you’ve listen to. Now look at the differences. And praise God!

Example-

Old (the last song I used to listen to that came up in conversation with a friend):

“…disarm you with a smile, and leave you like they left me here, to wither in denial, the bitterness of one who’s left alone…” -Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins

New (the last song I listened to before writing this devotion): “…I get carried away, like I’m the only one who’s ever felt the way I do, but I can hear you say, you’re not the only one cause everybody hopes to get through…” -Sleeping In by Relient K

Can you see the glaring difference; one oozing misery, the other exuding hope. What you put in will eventually come out. Praise Yahweh for being my Hope! And yours!