Sunday, June 1, 2014

We Need Help

Psalm 36:9 (NLT)

For you are the fountain of life, the light by which we see.

Reading this passage of scripture reminded me of a quote by the great author and thinker C.S. Lewis:

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

This made me ask myself some very tough questions: Does my faith in Christ reside in only a very specific part of my life or does my faith in Christ define my life? Does my faith affect every situation I encounter or does it only show its face when I’m at church or when I’m around my church friends?

These tough questions sometimes come with tough answers.

As we’ve discussed before, we must hold every thought captive and examine it. Is it pleasing to God? Is it pointing the people around me to Christ or is it pulling them in the other direction?

If you think that asking these questions about every aspect of our lives sounds incredibly challenging, you are right. It is. It’s actually impossible without God’s help. If we try to live for Christ without spending time with him, we will always end up burnt-out, exhausted, and worst of all, defeated.

So as you begin your day, ask God for help. Ask him to help you see each situation as he sees it. Ask him to help you see every person as he sees them. If you ask these things with a genuine heart, you’ll begin to see that the impossible will become not only possible, but routine!