Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Seeking God #6 - Bible Study #1

Psalm 119:9-16 (NLT)

How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you— don’t let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.

As a teacher, I relate the material in many different ways, so as to make the activities and lessons more engaging and learner-centered. One way I do this is by dropping hints and allowing my kids to try to figure the topic/person/event out ahead of time. Without further ado, I want you to attempt the following question with the prompts provided:

What am I?

According to Pastor John, this determines your success and failure as a Christ follower. It is the most untapped resource available to all of us. It is truth, life, wisdom, knowledge. It relates both our beginning…and our end. It includes such subjects as poetry, history, science, psychology, sociology, literature, prophecy, and dozens more. It can be both mundane and gloriously exciting. It is the all-time bestseller but rarely read, and even more rarely lived out in principle. It is simple yet profoundly deep. You can do it again and again and get something different each time. It goes beyond mere words on a page to the unseen, eternal world. It soars along airwaves and is broadcasted into homes through televisions and internet. It has been dissected and proven. People have died to bring its words and principles to us. It makes people weep, cry, rejoice, dance, sing, shout and praise. Many have ripped it out of context and a few have preached passionately about it. It has been brought to all the world, bringing with it a message of freedom and hope. It shines light in the darkness. Its sharper than a two-edged sword, shoving the gray world into contrasting shades of black and white. It gives us the good news. It gives us an eternal love story, a romance that even us guys can get in to- of a Creator who loved his fallen creation so much he entered said creation and reconciled that creation to himself. All in the name of Love (my apologies Bono).

What am I?

Bible Study.

(Yes, yes, I know. You were all bright enough to read the devotional title and thereby get the answer. If you didn’t do that, I’m sure you figured it out along the way. If you still did not, this study is exactly what you need.)

So, why, if it involves all of this, don’t we do it more often?