Matthew 22:37-40 (NLT)
Jesus replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
The adjective- passionately.
We could look up the word “passion” in the dictionary but that doesn’t hit home with most of us. Maybe this will…
[Author’s Note: the following is a story about passion and soccer. As you read, you may plug in your own teams or sports as needed. Just try to remember we’re focusing on passion.]
It was the summer of 2010. To much of the world (and a few of us in America), it meant the World Cup. It’s the most prestigious competition on the planet and takes place every four years. Billions of people clad themselves in their country’s colors and sit on the edge of their seat for 90 minutes watching their teams on the pitch (field), with the hope that their squad will lift the trophy. They chant, cheer, sing, jump, dance, drum, decorate, cry, riot, fight, and much more. All in the name of passion for their team.
As most of you know, I’m passionate about soccer. I, too, was on the edge of my seat during the month of June. On one particular day, with the US tied during a do-or-die match with Algeria, I was biting my nails and wishing for a miracle. The Yanks had to score and win the match to move to the knockout rounds of the tournament. My eyes bored into the television screen, willing the ball into the goal. As each attempt ended in failure, I stooped to stirring up prophetic visions of a goal. Then, with seconds left before the final whistle, Tim Howard (the US goalie) slung the ball out and started a counterattack. Tension wracked my body. But their was an underlying optimism that the miraculous was possible. The US surged forward until Clint Dempsey got a shot off. It came painfully close but was blocked by the keeper- but the ball bounced into the path of a charging Landon Donovan, who booted in the rebound. Around the country- from pubs to living rooms- Americans leaped into the air, shouting, rejoicing, or crying. Guilty as well, I went nuts. As if I’d been healed by Jesus, I leapt and screamed at the top of my lungs like a fool. After calming down, I looked around out of embarrassment. Fortunately, only the dog was there. I use the word was because he had apparently gone into the other room during my celebratory dance.
In hindsight, I was embarrassed not so much by my display of patriotic passion, but by my lack of such passion when it comes to seeking Jesus. Think about that statement today and we’ll wrap up tomorrow.
P.S. After reading this, watch the video clip of this play, followed by video clips of people around the country celebrating. It will help solidify the devotional thought in your mind.