Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Am the Church

Ephesians 5:29-30 (NLT)

No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church. And we are members of his body.

I Corinthians 12:27 (NLT)

All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.

What makes a church a church? Is it a beautifully adorned steeple? A catchy name and logo? A trendy and eloquent pastor with a crowd? A building with a denominational moniker? A social club complete with musical entertainment? A place to go to feel less guilty about our empty lives? A holiday hangout?

It’s none of those things actually. Allow me to define the church according to the Scripture: The church is the body of Christ. To put it in laymen’s terms: I am the church. You are the church. We are the church.

Before joining the Lord in eternity four years ago, my friend Greg McClendon was fond of saying, “I am the church.” He even went so far as to create shirts with the slogan blazed across the chest. A lot of people thought his slogan and shirt were “cool” so they would ask him where they could get one. Many went away sad, however, because he wouldn’t give them one unless they could explain what the phrase meant.

Beloved, I don’t want the same to be said about Refuge. As nice as it is to have a roof over our head, gifted musicians and pastors, a booming sound system, PowerPoint capabilities, and plenty of space, all of that isn’t Refuge Church. I am Refuge Church. You are Refuge Church. We are Refuge Church. Together, we make up the body of Christ. So, whether you’re the hands, feet, or the rear end, let’s fulfill the Great Commission of Christ - to go out into the world and make a difference!

Instead of raising our fist and yelling about a revolution, let’s open our lifted hands and proclaim in unison, “We are the church of the Living God!”