Psalm 42:1-2 (NLT)
As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God.
I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?
Ever heard anyone hurl the following phrase?
"I still love them; I’m just not in love with them anymore."
While it's usually referring to couples, the sentiment seeps into our relationship with GOD as well. And it doubtlessly occurs when we get our priorities distorted. During the summer, a friend and I reeked of similar symptoms when it came to this thought. He was having a hard go of trying to fit GOD into his busy schedule and seeking materialism, while I, on the other hand, was doing a lot “for GOD” and drowning in his blessings to the point I’d lost sight of Him. Because we shared a longing to return to pure relationship with Jesus, we began a devotional together called, “When I Don’t Desire GOD.” The whole premise of the study is desiring GOD for no other reason than because he is GOD. Forget the blessings (which are good things by the way). Forget the prosperity. Forget the poverty. Forget the motions and mentalities we get entrapped by. Forget doing things for GOD. Forget everything…but He alone.
The Message words today’s Scripture like this, “I want to drink GOD, deep draughts of GOD. I’m thirsty for GOD-alive.”
That’s what we cried out for. And when you find joy in GOD, not just in the things he so graciously bestows upon us, we return to the roots of our salvation. Remember how real it felt. How freeing. How you would burst into laughter or tears or shouts of joy. Simply because you were with GOD. In relationship. Keep in mind that love is a choice. Feelings come and go, and ebb and flow. But we can make a conscious choice to love. Especially when it comes to the One who loves us first.
Author’s Note: for more on this topic, read pages 99-101 of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Danae Yankoski