Author’s Note: I've been working on a devotional book for the Arms of Mercy guys off and on for about a year. Although it's geared toward an audience struggling with alcohol and drug addiction, it also deals with the underlying sickness that leads to those symptoms- sin. And sin is something we all struggle with. So without remorse, I will use my LifeTogether platform as a Petri dish to see if they connect with a broader audience. Each contains a Scripture, topic, devotional, personal story from my time at the shelter, and discussion questions. Feel free to share your thoughts when I see you. As always, it's all about Jesus…
Matthew 12:6-7 (NLT)
I tell you, there is one here who is even greater than the Temple! But you would not have condemned my innocent disciples if you knew the meaning of this Scripture: "I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices."
If you get easily offended, please pardon the following words, but… Religion can go to hell. Before you burn this book as sacrilegious heresy, allow me to explain. Religion is man’s attempt to get to God. To get Him (and others) to notice us. It’s a system of rules, regulations, and rituals which tend to take the focus off of Jesus and onto a symbol or shadow of Him. Religion begets generations of people who are angry and dissatisfied because religions can meet no one’s needs, nor can it heal anyone in recovery. Religion rapes the Scripture, using and abusing the principles to control people, justify “holiness” standards, and judge those Christ actually came to serve. Religion also blinds people to God’s grace. Or even the need for it.
Numerous guys that have come through the shelter have been modern-day Pharisees. Two in particular- Allen and Tarrione- were so programmed from years of religious indoctrination that it derailed their recovery. They were all too willing to put on an outward display, participating in all the required rituals associated with their denomination. They could quote the Scriptures more eloquently than Major and I. They were experienced enough, by their own admissions, to place themselves in seats of judgment.
Sadly however, there was no willingness to develop a real, personal relationship with Jesus. There was no room for grace and mercy, no room to grow in love. It was not about a free gift from God, but what they did to earn it or catch God’s attention. Part of knowing Christ is learning humility. Learning we (and religion) can do nothing in and of ourselves. I, like most of the guys, tried some form of religion in an effort to find hope and healing. But religion only left me more damaged, frustrated, and suicidal than when I was in the world. Then I encountered Jesus in a real, personal way. I didn't have to pray a certain way or read the entire Bible or get baptized with the right words. I simply cried out. Won’t you do the same?
Discussion Questions:
1. Have you tried religion as a way of hope and healing? What happened?
2. What are differences between “religion” and a “relationship” with Jesus?
3. Have you begun a relationship with Jesus? If not, would you like to? If so, share what that relationship means to you.
4. What characteristics should we include in our life that would prevent us from falling into “religion”?