Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT)
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Yesterday, we talked about patience and the most practical foe that we face as our patience grows: waiting. Simply waiting. It can be for anything. Food. Weather. A relationship. As we mentioned yesterday, the Israelites had been waiting for their Messiah for centuries. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Singing songs to God about waiting. Keeping their eyes open at all times for this king. This Messiah.
I want to stop and hang out here for a moment. Today will be a little bit different. We’re going to jump into a few of the many Psalms of David that had to do with waiting.
For a few moments, think about some situations that you’re going through in your life right now where you are waiting. You may be waiting on an answer from a friend. You may be waiting on an answer from an employer. You may be waiting on an answer from a doctor. You may even be waiting on an answer from God. Take whatever it is you’re waiting on today and give it to God as you pray through these psalms.
Psalm 130:5-6 (MSG)
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Psalm 27:14 (MSG)
Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 62:1-2, 5-6 (MSG)
God, the one and only— I'll wait as long as he says. Everything I need comes from him, so why not? He's solid rock under my feet, breathing room for my soul, An impregnable castle: I’m set for life. God, the one and only— I'll wait as long as he says. Everything I hope for comes from him, so why not? He's solid rock under my feet, breathing room for my soul, An impregnable castle: I'm set for life.
Psalm 39:7-8 (NLT)
And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you. Rescue me from my rebellion. Do not let fools mock me.
Psalm 40:1-2 (ESV)
I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
Waiting is tough. But as David learned in the verses above, we are able to find God in our times of waiting. So I challenge you today: Instead of looking for an answer or a solution to the situation you thought about earlier, look for God. Chase after Him with reckless abandon and you’ll find Him. And with Him, you’ll find the peace and the grace that you need to get you through this season of waiting.
We’ll continue this conversation tomorrow.